West Branch District Library
The Board of Trustees of the West Branch (MI) District Library is inviting applications for the position of Director. This gem of a library is in a recently expanded and renovated 10,000 square foot building in the heart of the downtown area. The West Branch District Library serves a population of just under 10,000 with a budget of about $300,000 and a staff of three (3) full-time and three (3) part-time employees. As a district library, the Library is an autonomous governmental unit that has a dedicated millage. A member of the Valley Library Consortium, the Library participates in a shared automation system using SirsiDynix-Horizon 184.108.40.206. The Library enjoys excellent community support and prides itself on a strong Friends of the Library organization, an active Board of Trustees, and a professional, friendly staff.
West Branch is located in beautiful Ogemaw County in northeast Michigan, which abounds in lakes, streams, hiking trails, and countless recreational activities. Just off I-75, West Branch is easily accessible.
For additional information about the Library, visit www.westbranchlibrary.org. To learn more about the community, visit www.westbranch.com and www.wbacc.com.
The position: Must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; a Master’s degree in library science or library and information science from an accredited ALA program is preferred. In addition, a minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in a professional library position, of which at least two (2) years have been in a position of administration and supervision in a public library, is also preferred. The successful candidate will be a community – oriented individual who values the opportunity to interact with the public as a hands-on director; is flexible and energetic; has strong communication skills and is comfortable with public speaking; has a comprehensive understanding of library finances and budgeting; and an overall understanding of current public library operations and services. Successful experience in working with Friends of the Library, in fund-raising, and grant writing is desirable. A complete position description is available at, www.westbranchlibrary.org.
Beginning Salary: $40,000 – $45,000 dependent on experience and educational qualification, in addition, excellent benefit package included.
Applications Acceptance: Interested individuals should include a cover letter that specifically addresses the position requirements, a resume, and three references with contact information. All applications will be accepted until the position is filled, through electronic submission to email@example.com.
Job title: LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Administers and oversees total library operation
- Selects and procures materials, equipment, and supplies
- Handles correspondence and public relations
- Prepares bills and receipts for accountant to process
- Prepares annual budget for library board approval
- Prepares annual state aid report and any other required report
- Attends monthly Library Board, VLC, and White Pine Library Coop meetings
- Attends annual MLA conferences and other appropriate meetings / conferences as budget allows
- Recommends policies and services
- Oversees building / physical plant
- Hires, fires and supervises staff; schedules and processes annual evaluations
- Organizes collection; keeps current and in good condition
- Oversees technology and circulation procedures; oversees maintenance of patron records
- Helps plan and oversee library programs
- Schedules meeting room use
- Keeps record of memorial donations and sends formal notes of appreciation
- Notifies library board meetings and prepares Librarian’s Report for monthly meetings
- Oversees and assists in daily operation of library when and where needed
- Oversees and encourages volunteers and Friends of the Library activities
- A broad understanding of library services
- Ability to deal effectively with officials, co-workers, community leaders, and the public with tact and courtesy
- Bachelor’s degree with several years’ management experience required, Master’s degree in library science or library and information science, from an ALA accredited program, preferred.
Hours: Full- time 40 hours a week position
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualifications and education
Benefits: Vacation, sick, personal and holiday leave. Health and life insurance. Participation in MERS retirement plan as well as a deferred compensation plan.